The life of Paul.- Bio

My life began in 2002 in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. I then proceeded to live in the Middle Eastern region for the next 16 years of my life. Despite my German heritage I have never lived in Europe nor have I ever gone to school outside the Emirates.  I grew up with an older brother and a younger sister, my brother was always a big influence for me during my childhood and while I don't like to admit it I still look up to him today. My brother was a great swimmer and loved to play football, unsurprisingly I also took up these activities and a few others such as field hockey as a child, however over the years I have gradually lost interest in them or have stopped them entirely. Today I still play the Trombone, while maybe not the coolest instrument in the world I still enjoy playing it.

I use language in almost every aspect of my life, whether it's for school, talking to friends, reading fiction, non-fiction, the news, watching movies or music. Essentially language plays the role of expressing opinions, perspectives, emotions or ideas. Without a proper understanding of how to use language in everyday life, it could lead to misunderstandings or misinterpretations. For example, the way I would text my best friend is very different from how I would talk to my teachers or even other friends. Not having a proper understanding of language can lead to awkward situations, misunderstanding and an inability to express your own feelings.

Growing up in a bilingual environment I've always had some difficulty with language barriers. Ironically it started with me struggling with English many years ago, and now struggling with my mother tongue. When I return to Germany during vacations I often notice that I can't find the proper words to express what I'm feeling due to my limited vocabulary. Sometimes though I also find language barriers in English, one example of this is older texts or books that I have trouble understanding. I don't just mean Shakespearean English or ancient poems, I also mean texts that may just be from the early 20th century.


Comments