I don't read no Deutsch


It was the summer of 2012, I was spending the summer in my parents’ hometown.  Every year the town holds a sort of day camp, “Ratzigwatz” for children between the ages of 6 and 13. It was always a lot of fun, I didn’t have many friends or people to go with but that never put me down. You could usually find me doing work at a cafe or food stand. Because I didn’t have many friends I usually hung out with my older cousin, Marc. A couple days into the camp, Marc says to me “I wanna work at the newspaper stand today!”. Because I didn’t know anybody else I said “yeah sure” and went along. The first thing we did was interview the “Mayors” of the camp. It was pretty funny, mainly because the mayors were just pretty stupid and didn’t know what they were doing. After my cousin did his best to write some notes on the “interview” we went back to the main office. We came back and now it was my job to write a full report on the story. Only problem was, I couldn’t spell. I just hadn’t gone to a German school in about 5 years. I had no idea where to start. I turned to Marc and said “I don’t want to do this, I can’t do this”. My cousin couldn’t really care less and just went on with his work. I waited a couple moments but then decided I should go. I left. I was a bit lost wandering about by myself, but I eventually found a nice sort of bakery to work at. I worked there for the rest of the day and had a blast. I didn’t know anybody and didn’t have any friends with me but I still had a blast. I didn’t need someone with me to enjoy my time.

Comments