Interview with John Lennon



Founding member of the Beatles, peace activist, singer, and poet, John Lennon agreed to join me today to discuss the great works of his life. Hey John, thanks for joining us today.

John Lennon
No problem, Paul. Weird how much the world has changed since I left. Didn’t really expect much of this

Could you elaborate on that? What exactly did you expect?

Lennon
Well for one, I didn’t expect the Beatles to still be more popular than Jesus, even though most of the stuff we made was complete crap. It also just feels like the world is much calmer. You know what I mean? Like back when I was around young people were out and about, fighting for freedom, fighting against war, trying to better the world. Now, most young people sit at home and watch tv while they rot away.

One of the major themes in your song “Imagine” is peaceful co-existence and harmony between people. Do you think the world has become closer or further from this?

Lennon
That’s quite a complicated question, I mean for one our world is becoming more and more interconnected. Now you can talk to anyone across the globe, no matter where they’re from or even what language they speak. You know, this could really be a tool to bring us all together and become one closer community. But the way I see it is that really, people aren’t really doing that. I think most people only use it to talk to the people that are already in their lives. We aren’t expanding our horizon, we’re only zooming into what we already have.

John, you may remember your song “working class hero” received some criticism, because you’re not even from a working-class background. What’s your take on that?

Lennon
Honestly, all the criticism I got for that song was honestly just stupid. I mean just ‘cause my parents didn’t work in a factory means I can’t show some basic human compassion? Daft. Stupid. In the song, I was simply pointing out that the world we’ve built is quite unfair, and that if we want to solve it we can’t let some slimy politicians tell us what to do.

But what do you think about the people that say you only wrote the song to appeal to the working class?

Lennon
I really want to move on to the next question because I don’t know what you really want from me. But all I want those people to know is that I only care about the working class and that I could have written that song about anything and it still would have sold.

Finally, John, what are your takes on the future?

Lennon
I’m not a huge fan of what’s happened since I left. I mean it’s good that there’s less war and that, but really where are we going? What’s become of our freedom? What have we really sacrificed in the name of “security”. I think we need to look at ourselves and our leaders and really think “Who do I trust? The people that make up me and my community? Or our leaders that play with our freedom and money like it’s a yo-yo on a string.






Comments